NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ken Reid's THE SOCCERNAUTS (1972)

Continuing my occasional look back at the strips Ken Reid drew for Scorcher weekly, here's The Soccernauts. This was a very short-run series that began in Scorcher and Score dated 13th May 1972 and ended in the issue dated 12th August 1972. Unusually for Ken, it was a science fiction strip, but that did give him the opportunity to draw monsters, which of course he excelled at.

Here's a selection of his best ones...




For whatever reason, a couple of the later ones were clearly ghosted by another artist valiantly trying to ape Ken's style. I'm guessing those may be by Peter Davidson but I may be mistaken. Here's one of them, which was the final episode...

All pages are scanned from the comics in my collection. More Ken Reid greatness soon! 


Here's a cross-reference of all the other series that Ken Reid did for Scorcher. Have fun!

SUB (1970:

FOOTBALL FORUM (1970/71):

MANAGER MATT (1971):

HUGH FOWLER (1971/72):

THE SOCCERNAUTS (1972):

HARRY HAMMERTOE THE SOCCER SPOOK (1972/73):

JIMMY JINX (1973/74):

TRIPTOE TRIERS (1974):

4 comments:

Andy Boal said...

It’s definitely the Aldrich-Appleby-Davidson studio - I’m tending towards Peter, but there’s something a bit Barrieish about it too.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I see what you mean. It could be by Barrie Appleby.

Manic Man said...

not a bad idea for a script. lacking a bit in energy in places I think, compared to a lot of Ken Reid's work.

Unknown said...

Excellent stuff I loved Ken Reids footy strips and Scorcher - "Soccernauts" was one of my favourite of Kens sports strips as a kid (you cant beat "Sub" though) - thanks for showing these Lew I hadnt read them in years (I was briefly 9 years old again)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...